Pathway to Becoming a Dental HygienistThere are four main steps you need to take to become a dental hygienist in Utah. These are legally required steps that will allow you to work in this profession.
Step 1: Graduate from an American Dental Association approved programYou should always check to make sure that any of the dental hygienist schools in Utah that you are considering have ADA approval. This will be important in later steps of the process. If a school does not have ADA approval, you may have to repeat your education later to meet the requirements to sit for certain exams.
Step 2: Pass the National Board Dental Hygiene ExaminationThis exam is a multiple choice test with 350 questions. Questions cover your knowledge of dental care. They ask about ethics, care procedures, treatment options, patient assessment, and radiographs. There are three testing centers where you can take the NBDHE: Bountiful, Draper, and Ogden.
Step 3: Pass the Dental Hygienist Clinical ExaminationThis exam tests your actual skills in treating patients. You will have to do several common procedures. It also will test your patient interaction skills and your ability with radiographs. This is a regional exam that has testing centers in the western, central, northeastern, and southern regions of the state.
Step 4: Get your licenseThe last step in the process is to secure your dental hygienist license. You must provide the state with your exam results and a valid CPR certification. You also must complete an application and pay a fee. Once you have your license, you must maintain it by completing at least 30 hours of continuing education every two years.
Options in Dental Hygienist Schools in UtahThe following are some options for dental hygienist schools in Utah. These schools offer dental assisting or hygiene programs. Each school has different requirements for graduation from the program. In general, you can expect a program to take around 1,200 to 1,500 hours to complete. Most programs take under two years of study. Programs are generally similar in content, covering options such as dental radiology, dental terminology, and ethics. Also included in each program is a series of externships or clinical procedural practices that allow you to put what you learn into practice in laboratories, hospitals, and clinics.
- Career training since 1963.
- Gives you the freedom and flexibility to learn on your own time, at your own pace and in your own environment.
- Complete your education and gain technical skills when and where it's convenient for you!
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ®
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
The Secret to Getting Ahead Is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager® College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Assisting (AOS)
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Dental Assistant
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
More Dental Hygienist/Assistant Schools In Utah
|University of Utah School of Dentistry||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States||http://dentistry.utah.edu/|
|Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine||11 Sunset Way, Henderson, NV 89014, United States||www.roseman.edu|
|Davis Applied Technology College||Kaysville, UT||http://www.datc.edu|
|Bridgerland Applied Technology Center||Logan, UT||http://www.batc.edu|
|Ogden-Weber Applied Technology Center||Ogden, UT||http://www.owatc.edu|