Bluegrass Community & Technical College and West Kentucky Community and Technical College are the only schools in Kentucky that have accredited dental care assistant training programs. Both are under the Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS) as two-year public schools, and they are comparatively young institutions. Bluegrass, based in the second-largest city in the state (Lexington) was founded in 2005. West Kentucky had been established in Paducah, a city in western Kentucky, two years earlier. The dental care assistant programs of both schools are accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).
Dental Assistant Schools in KentuckyAs part of the same community college system, Bluegrass and West Kentucky use virtually the same curriculum, which comprises the Diploma in Dental Assisting program. Students are required to take between 38 and 45 credits for completion of the program, which takes up to four semesters to complete. The first of two summer semesters can be dedicated to pre-requisite courses, which are in subject areas like anatomy and physiology, basic anatomy, written and oral communications, psychology, and digital literacy. The rest of the program runs through the subsequent fall, spring, and summer semesters. Subject areas that the core courses cover include infection control and medical emergencies, dental materials, oral pathology and radiology, and office management. Also included are classes for practical experience or workplace simulation. Bluegrass offers the addition option of enrolling in the Dental Assisting/Dental Hygiene Integrated Program, which trains people in becoming dental hygienists. A step above dental care assistants, dental hygienists handle additional and more advanced duties, including specialization in oral hygiene.
SALARIES FOR DENTAL AID/ASSISTANTS IN KENTUCKYIn 2012, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that dental care assistants in Kentucky made an annual mean wage of $31,310, or $15.06 per hour. By comparison, the annual mean salary of dental care assistants in the United States is $35,080 ($16.86 per hour). In 2010, the BLS estimated the number of dental care assistants in Kentucky at 4,010 in 2010. The agency expects a decade-long job growth of 28 percent, outpacing the national growth rate by 3 percent.
Matching School Ads
- Discover how you could play a part in the growing healthcare industry at Keiser U
- Cover healthcare leadership, marketing, public policy, healthcare finance & more
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
Locations: Fort Lauderdale
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Get allied health training with Ross Medical Education Center. We offer programs in dental assisting, medical assisting, medical insurance billing and office administration, and pharmacy tech.
- Medical Assistant
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
More Dental Hygienist/Assistant Schools In Kentucky
|University of Kentucky College of Dentistry||Lexington, KY||mc.uky.edu/Dentistry|
|University of Louisville School of Dentistry||Louisville, KY||www.louisville.edu|
|Bluegrass Community & Technical College||Lexington, KY||http://www.bluegrass.kctcs.edu|
|West Kentucky Community & Technical College||Paducah, KY||http://www.westkentucky.kctcs.edu|